Monday, March 7, 2011

A neat new gadget.

Well this is kind of neat.  I found a chat gadget for my blog that will send any messages you type into it directly to my instant messenger account.

So if anybody wants to talk to me, just use that gadget over there in the sidebar and i'll get it as an im on my computer or if i'm not at home, it should go through to my phone and i can reply from there.  Seems kind of neat, so feel free to say hi sometime.

To add this to your blog go over to http://www.plugoo.com/ and sign up.  It's free and doesn't take very long.  It works with several different im networks so you can pick which one you want.

Log in, click on my widgets and copy the HTML at the bottom:





Then pop over to your blog and go to the Design tab and click Add a Gadget



Scroll down until you get to this one:



Name it, paste in the code you copied earlier, and hit save.
You should now have your very own chat gadget that will send messages to an im service.  I can't imagine this will be good for everybody since some people might not want to be bothered, but I think it's kind of neat since I'm always signed onto instant messenger anyway.


Feel free to test it out if you want.

I think this post came out pretty good considering 10 minutes ago I was so stuck for a topic that I almost posted instructions for making ricin tipped bullets out of hollow points...Much less likely to get in trouble talking about blog gadgets. :)

26 comments:

  1. A good idea, like you said, but I don't know that I want to be bothered at any given time. Not that I don't enjoy talking to people.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is neat, thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh that looks pretty nifty actually. So people can be in contact without getting your more private contact info

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice write-up, I might have a look into it...

    ReplyDelete
  5. actually that sound pretty neat

    I'm already having some chat gadget on my site, well it's just a shoubox if you're strict...

    but as even there no one writes, why should someone write with me alone^^

    ReplyDelete
  6. that sounds like a very handily gadget. post more you should post more details on it im really curious to know more!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's cool man but you're gonna be woken up all hours by random trolls!

    ReplyDelete
  8. @tyrone,
    yeah probably. but thats ok, i might just sleep through it anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  9. cool idea for an app, but i would be nervous about the random fools

    ReplyDelete
  10. You always post the best tips!
    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  11. LOL, man...I'm a bit paranoid about who can contact me, but I might try it with a dummy AIM account or something.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Cool, now? could you post from your MSN account to the blog? still having a 1 on 1 combo with a follower would be cool

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nice idea.
    Takes a little while to load I notice.
    Next time I'm sat down with a coffee I might stop in for a chat.

    ReplyDelete
  14. nice gadget, thanks for posting

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love you man. this is going straight to my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  16. i should mention that i'm signed in to 7 aim accounts at all times, plus other chat services, so i have plenty of dummy accounts.

    ReplyDelete
  17. wow thats awsome i migt have to use that!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Nice find, thanks for sharing aha, will check it out when I actually have time -_-

    ReplyDelete
  19. That looks really nifty, I just might use it!

    ReplyDelete
  20. that's really neat! I'd use it on my blog if I were on any IM client that much. haha.

    ReplyDelete